Everyone in town wanted to make sure the coaches and football players were acknowledged for their accomplishments that season on the gridiron. Not only did they represent Breckenridge High School with great honor, the players and coaches took the whole town along in their journey to the state championship that season. It was a remarkable accomplishment by a few veterans and several novice players who were not even expected to win the Oil Belt District I crown, let alone the Texas State Football Championship.
Everyone at the game understood that the Buckaroos outplayed the Yellow Jackets and would prevail on a clear, dry field had the Yellow Jackets agreed to a play-off game to break the 0-0 tie. The weather beat the Buckaroos out of a State Championship in 1929, certainly not the Yellow Jackets. The whole town wanted to express their appreciation to the Buckaroo team and coaches for a job well done and putting the town of Breckenridge on the map.
The date for the banquet was set for Jan. 3, 1930, at the Y.M.C.A., which could seat about 350. Players and their parents, coaches and wives, BHS principal and wife and the school board members and their wives would be provided tickets first, then remaining tickets were released for sale Monday, Dec. 30, on a first come, first serve basis. Walter P. Cline, principal at Wichita Falls High School and recognized as a great orator, was secured to be the featured speaker at the banquet.


Newspapers in Texas and nationally were leading the discussion on the prohibition law and Atticus Webb, president of the Anti-Saloon League, summed up the problem, “There are too many Federal judges and prosecuting attorneys who drink, which hinders enforcement.”
Locally, there had been a string of robberies in Breckenridge which had the local law enforcement men stymied. The latest was at S. and Q. Clothiers, where $150 was stolen right out of the back office during the lunch hour. The bookkeeper had left for lunch but there were three male clerks and several customers at the front of the store. However, the money was removed from the safe, which was left unlocked, and no one saw it happen.
Another robbery occurred at the Acorn Store on Christmas Eve, where $400 was taken. It is believed that the robber was hid in the store when it closed and then escaped out the back door. Another robbery was reported at the Boone Service Station where a tire was stolen.
Bob Hood, at Hood Drug Store, must have inadvertently stopped a robbery from happening when he appeared at his Drug Store early one morning to fill a prescription for a customer. The back window was discovered open where the robber must have quickly escaped from with nothing stolen. The Robertson and Boyle garage also reported $30 stolen from their shop.
Police have determined that the robber appeared to know Breckenridge businesses very well and was very familiar with their operational practices at those locations. The police urged everyone in the business district to take added precautions with safes and making sure doors and windows are secured.
Wes Hodges, sportswriter and editor of The Breckenridge American accused Coach Dennis of Port Arthur of being ‘spineless' and should be run out of Texas with his refusal to play the Buckaroos in a playoff game to break the tie. He also accused Ray Henderson, head of the UIL, of not doing his job by insisting that Port Arthur play the game. Then it was discovered that Dennis and Henderson were classmates at one time, which clarified the position Henderson had taken in regards to not insisting a game be played. Hodges also included the Port Arthur school board as ‘spineless ninnies,' in his attack against Port Arthur. However, Hodges made it clear not to include the Yellow Jacket players who wanted to play the game, nor their fans who backed the team. “The Buckaroos were cheated out of their first and only State Championship title and Port Arthur officials, who made the decision not to play, lacked that one characteristic demonstrated by most athletes, that of ‘good sports,'” said Hodges. “Coach Dennis would be referred to as the ‘quitting coach' henceforth and should get out of coaching altogether and leave Texas because Texas football is not played that way.”
Superintendent N.S. Holland said, “he would appeal to the UIL Council for a ruling and would pursue whatever avenue that presented itself on behalf of Coach P.E. Shotwell and the Buckaroos. “It is clear to me and others at Breckenridge that Port Arthur was totally outclassed and would lose on a dry field as well,” said Holland. “Breckenridge had agreed to play on the Port Arthur field at a date and time to be set by them. We did all we could do to persuade them to play but they outright refused all overtures made by our school district and that is sad for our young men who played their hearts out and the Port Arthur players who were dismissed as well.”
Coach Tom Dennis of the Port Arthur Yellow Jackets finally made a statement to the press in Port Arthur. Dennis said, “My boys have had plenty of football for the season and I am hibernating until next year and I don't want to play anymore football this year.” The Dennis statement certainly clarified his position about the Yellow Jackets not interested in playing a game to break the tie and that Coach Dennis and the Yellow Jackets were satisfied to be State Co-Champions for 1929. The Bucks refused to accept the silver football and were not agreeable to be co-champions with anyone.