Community leaders amend order with penalties for violators

Time to read
1 minute
Read so far

Stephens County and the city of Breckenridge amended the "Stay Home, Stay Safe" order for the community and will give penalties for violations of the order.

The order states, "...this Order requires all individuals anywhere in Stephens County & the City of Breckenridge to shelter in place -that is, stay at home- except for certain essential activities and work to provide essential business and government services or perform essential public infrastructure construction, including housing. This Order takes effect at 11:59 p.m. on March 23, 2020 and will continue until further Order of the Commissioner Court and City Commission, subject to the limited exceptions and under the terms and conditions more particularly set forth below."

The plan was signed on Monday, March 23 during a special called meeting inside the Stephens County Courthouse and will go into effect at midnight on Tuesday, March 24.

The order is an continuance of the Wednesday, March 11 plan and furthers the county/city authority to protect the safety and welfare of the public. Community leaders are hoping to slow the spread of COVID-19.

The meeting involved County Judge Michael Roach, County Attorney Gary Trammel, Sheriff Will Holt, Mayor Bob Sims, City Manager Andy McCuistion and Breckenridge Police Chief Bacel Cantrell.

Penalties for violation of the Emergency Management Plan will come with a warning and if not obeyed, "the plan may prescribe a punishment for the offense but may not prescribe a fine that exceeds $1,000 or confinement in jail for a term that exceeds 180 days."

"These rules are enforced and citizens may need to go back home," Cantrell said. "We want to open a strong communication with everyone and that's the reason I think this order is so important. If everyone is no onboard then we are doing things in vain. This order is not for us to write everyone tickets and throw people in jail. It gives authority to educate people and inform them of the consequences, if you don't comply."

The county and city are hoping the penalty will center citizens' attention and force them to listen to the severity of the COVID-19.

"Asking people is not getting the job done," County Judge Roach said. "We're trying to balance the needs of the economy and enforce rules for citizens."

The county is asking for individuals to continue practicing social distancing efforts and stay home if sick. This news comes as nine individuals were tested for the COVID-19 virus, with results still pending.

Click here to view the full text the "Stay Safe, Stay Home" order.