Frontier Days set to begin Friday at City Park
The Stephens County Frontier Days and Bob Drake Memorial Chuckwagon Cook-off is set for this Friday and Saturday, May 6 and 7, at the Breckenridge City Park.
A few of the events visitors can participate in include the stick horse races, 42 domino tournament, cow patty bingo, horseshoe pitching tournament, bake-off contest and pet parade. Other events featured include fun zone rides, the 10th annual Breckenridge Idol talent contest, bounce houses, a wide variety of vendors, entertainment and much more.
• The 42 tournament is sponsored by Breckenridge InterBank. Registration starts at 5:30 p.m. Friday, May 6. The tournament will start at 6 p.m. The cost to enter is $10 per entry, and it will be limited to the first 32 people or 16 teams.
• T.C. Fambro will perform an acoustic music set from 5:45-6:30 p.m. Friday, May 6, followed by the 2016 Miss Frontier Days pageant at 7:30 p.m.
• The Stephens County Frontier Days Horseshoe Pitching Tournament registration will begin at 8 a.m. Saturday, May 7, at the pits, south of the city park. Registration fees will be $20 per team. Payback will be 80 percent of the entry fees. The tournament will be an open double elimination/doubles tournament. Players will play to 21 points. Points will be awarded as following: three points for a ringer and one point for a leaner or within six inches of the stake. For more information, call the Breckenridge Chamber of Commerce at 254-559-2301 or Rob Durham at Hibbett Sports at 254-559-2826.
• Registration for the fifth annual Our Town Kickball Tournament starts at 9:30 a.m. Saturday, May 7, at the north soccer fields. For more information, call Eva Cantrell at 254-246-2150 or Felicia Gotschall at 254-477-3920.
• The Frontier Days Bake-Off, sponsored by Shawna’s Bake Barn, will take place at 10 a.m. Saturday, May 7. Categories include pies, cakes and cookies. Two age categories include a Youth Division (18 and younger) and an Adult Division (19 and older). Winners will be announced at 11 a.m.
• The 2016 Stephens Memorial Hospital Color Burst 5K/Fun Run is set for Saturday, May 7. Registration costs $30 for ages 13 and up. The cost is $15 for kids. The Fun Run will start at 8:30 a.m., and the 5K run will start at 9 a.m.
• The Bob Drake Memorial Chuckwagon Cook-off is set for noon Saturday, May 7. Tickets cost $15 and include a chicken fried steak, potatoes, beans, bread, dessert and drink. They are available at the Chamber of Commerce office.
• The “Strut Your Mutt” pet parade, sponsored by the Stephens County Humane Society will be Saturday, May 7. Registration begins south of the carnival area under the large shade tree. There is no cost to enter the Pet Parade, and registration forms will be available at the event. The parade will begin at 2 p.m. For more information, call Dana McKelvain at 325-945-2309 or the Breckenridge Chamber of Commerce at 254-559-2301.
• The Breckenridge High School class of 2019 will sponsor Cow Patty Bingo at 3 p.m. Saturday, May 7, at the south soccer field at Breckenridge City Park. The tickets will cost $10 per square, and there is no limit to the number of squares a person can purchase. However, all tickets must be purchased in advance of the event. Squares may be purchased from Ashley Creager at the Breckenridge American. Only 200 squares will be available for purchase. Proceeds from the ticket sales will benefit the Class of 2019. The squares will be selected by lottery drawing. A cow will be let out onto the fenced field that will be marked off in squares. Wherever the first cow patty lands, determines the winner. For information, call Ashley Creager at 254-559-5412.
• The Great Pony Express Stick Horse Race, sponsored by The Shirt Shop and The New Life Restoration Church Youth Group, will begin at 5 p.m. Saturday, May 7, at the soccer field west of the park. Participants should have their mount in the corral by 4:30 p.m. Races will include teams or individuals. Age groups for the stick horse races will be age 3 and under, Age 4-6, Age 7-10 and Age 11 and up. There will be no entry fee and all riders are welcome. To register, contact Yuri Martinez at 559-350-3292, call the Chamber at 254-559-2301 or visit the office at 100 E. Elm St
• An Extreme Speed Event Ranch Rodeo will take place Saturday, May 7, at the Stephens County Rodeo Arena on Highway 180 East by the Stephens County Ag Barn. The rodeo will feature wild cow milking, mugging and doctoring. The cost to enter the three-man team event is $300 per team and is limited to the first 15 teams. Check-in will be at 10 a.m., rules will be read at 10:45 a.m., and the rodeo will start at 11 a.m. A team roping will take place following the ranch rodeo. The cost will be four head for $50 for #11. At intermission of the rodeo, a boot scramble will be held for children ages 5-12. Prizes will be awarded to the winners. Cattle for the event will be furnished by the Graham Livestock Commission. A concession stand will be available. For more information, call 254-246-0399 or 254-559-4741.
• The 10th annual Breckenridge Idol talent search will take place at 7:30 p.m. Saturday, May 7, at the Breckenridge City Park. The competition is sponsored by Breckenridge/Graham McDonald’s, Mastertone Music Studio, the Breckenridge Chamber of Commerce, KLXK 93.5 FM/KROO 1430 AM, KOOL 94.7 FM, LoneStar Ag Credit, and MLR Graphics.
The first-place winner will receive $1,000 (courtesy of Breckenridge/Graham McDonald’s) along with a professional studio recording session courtesy of Mastertone Music Studio. Second place prize is $350, and third place will receive $200, courtesy of Lone Star Ag Credit and MLR Graphics.
There was a tie in the auditions, so the top 11 will perform. The top 11 Breckenridge Idol Finalists (in no particular order) are:
Hannah Pennartz, Lorraine Crutcher, Caleb Moore, Shonda Wood, Kaitlin Robinson, Anthony Kelly, Misty Harvick, Chris Cameron, Jessica Swift, Melissa Fraley and Brittany Snow. Mariea Freeman is the alternate.
The Doc Rockin Band will open for the Breckenridge Idol competition at 6:30 p.m at the Park Pavilion.
o purchase tickets for an event, enter an event, or for a schedule of events, call the Breckenridge Chamber of Commerce at 254-559-2301.