Fires ravaged the land north of Woodson on Sunday night. The 1710 fire broke out for the 4th time, the Murray Circle fire began and was finally extinguished by the rain, there was a fire near Bushknob, and a fire on Airport Road near Throckmorton, and a fire near Shawvers, and a fire near or on the Clark ranch just west of Throckmorton, and, well, you get the picture! It was a horrible time!
Back-to-school lists aren’t the same this year.
The Donnell brothers had a huge impact on the town of Eliasville by building the Donnell Mill and Dam. Later, the Donnell brothers built a suspension bridge over the river near the mill. Much later, that bridge was replaced by a much larger, more substantial bridge in 1893. Still later, a more modern bridge was constructed at the site. Most of the mill was destroyed by fire from a lightning strike, and was rebuilt and burned again in 1927.
We got a new preacher a few weeks ago. For a year, our church family circled the wagons and managed without a regular pastor. As Presbyterians, we do everything “decently and in order,” so we had to form a committee which formed a committee which met with the Presbytery committee to look for a new minister. They sent out questionnaires to our members, to other churches in the area, and to possible candidates around the country.
Sometimes the first day of school can seem, as Margaret Mathiews remembers, “so routine.”